Friday, April 24, 2009

Film : Pan's Labyrinth


El laberinto del fauno


Best film I've seen in a while, and I watch a lot of films.
Actually I've been putting it off since it came out, so shame on me.
Umm, I don't know what to say other than I am still awed by its depth. Can fantasy save us from authoritarian oppression ? It's like a fairy tale for adults and children. Take it at face value and you'll be viewing something Walt Disney would've conceived but never put to parchment. But what's the point in that ? I say we take the magic chalk and draw a door into the labyrinth.

Moral I got from it ? Everything that politicians tell us, left, right, and center, they're all fantasies. We create our fantasy from their words, then create more fantasies to escape the reality of impossibility. Pan's Labyrinth is ultimately a politically charged film. It could be a criticism of Marxism, an insinuation that any form of Marxist rebellion is bound to be useless, just like Ophelia's fantasies did not save her from bodily death. Or it could be a criticism of how useless and disenchanted we all are with our hi-def tv's and 24/7 broadbad internet, how oblivious we are of our lack of authority over so many things.

I take that back. I'll take it at face value as it's so much more enjoyable that way. :P

0 comments: