Wednesday, May 6, 2009

You need filth

The dog and the Flask

de Charles Baudelaire


«--My beautiful dog, by good dog, my dear doggie, come over and have a sniff of this excellent perfume, bought from the best perfumer in the city. And the dog, wagging its tail, which, I believe, in these poor beasts corresponds to laughter and smiles, approaches and curiously places its moist nose on the open flask; then, fearfully recoiling all of a sudden, he barks at me, in a reproaching manner.


«--Oh! Miserable dog, if I had offered you a bag of excrement, you would have sniffed it with delight and perhaps, even devoured it. Thus you, unworthy companion of my sad life, you resemble the world, to which one must never present the delicate perfumes that exasperate it, but rather carefully chosen filth.»


So what has changed between Baudelaire's time and ours?

The weaponry.

0 comments: