Sunday, May 3, 2009

Anime : Noir


I finally finished Noir. 26 episodes of pure art, of human relationships laced with truths and ironies, polished with blades and bullets.


Noir is about two female assassins, one an amnesiac, and the other still bearing the scars of her murdered parents. Calling themselves "Noir," they battle powerful elements only known as The Soldats to find out who they really are.

What I really loved about movie is the fact that the leads are TWO females, and they're assassins, and they kick major ass (and it's set mainly in Paris, so that's a perk too). The story is just as dark as the title, but it ended with that fuzzy warm feeling that I rarely feel nowadays. Well shyte. This isn't a review.

Next order of business, ULTRAMAN!

Edit: Ok, I still have that fuzzy warm feeling. Darn lesbian undertones. It was like watching Gabby and Xena all over again.

Mireille,

I have a very bad premonition, that's why I'm writing you this
letter. At that time Chloe told me that Soldats is my home. I may
never be able to see you again. There is another me --- I can feel it.

It's alright for you to kill me. But, if at that time, I don't have
enough time for my last words --- I can't bear the thought of that. I
have something I must tell you.

Mireille, I was alone. Always alone. I never had anyone. It was
terrifying and painful.

But I wasn't alone when I found out that ``Noir'' was a name for two.
That was, of course, shocking, but I felt a small happiness in my
heart. You were there for me. Mireille, I was happy that you were
there. I was happy. Truly, truly.

Mireille, whom I cherish.

I can't find the right words.
Thank you, Mireille.
Thank you.

Mireille, whom I cherish is "Daisuki na Mireille" in Japanese. Now...I've read somewhere that "daisuki" is closer to the verb "love" than the verb "like," and couples in Japan regularly use this endearment.

SO, I am convinced about the sapphic subtext. ;-)

There was one scene where Chloe kisses Kirika, full-on yeah, and Kirika doesn't react. Oh, and Chloe hugs Kirika, full-on yeah, while they were bathing in some nasty pond for Altena's ritual, again Kirika doesn't react.

I wish I had a screenshot, but the gods of copyright prohibit me from legally capturing one. So, oh well.

I love, love, love this series. I love it more than Fushigi Yuugi. I think it's the feminist attitude. :P

0 comments: